This delightful existing listed 17th Century Scottish house, built of red and grey local stone, is set in generous grounds in the heart of the Borders area, with sensational views over the valley and the River Tweed. The house was very extensively restored and renovated with the close involvement of the local Council Authority and their Conservation Team. The proposals included full re-servicing of the property, significant layout alterations, which in turn required very significant structural alterations. A new Basement was designed to house a substantial wine cellar, sports equipment and utility spaces, including laundry. A new-build side Orangery glazed extension was incorporated and is now planned to be completed as a future phase.
Although many inappropriate past alterations during the 1950’s and 1960’s had damaged many of the original features, great care was taken to retain and repair all of the best listed architectural features, recreating these where necessary. Many careful in-situ repairs were carried out to the cornices, chimneypieces, etc. and other appropriate enhancements were implemented to maintain the original character. Arranged on three levels, the design team strived to create a much more liveable house, improve the flow and create a technologically modern house, combined with the refurbished generous traditional spaces.
The delightful outbuildings and barns also formed part of the restoration and were implemented at the same time as the main house. These outbuildings comprised staff accommodation, garage accommodation, wood storage and other outbuildings.